News from Sutton LINk
Public Toilets for All - e- petition
21 September 2011
Currently Local Authorities do not have to provide Public Toilets and many Councils are closing the few facilities that do exist to save money. We want Parliament to pass a law making theprovision of Public Toilets compulsory.
- good public toilet provision enables everyone to participate fully in civic life
- public toilets are needed if we want people to increase their use of public transport and walk and cycle more
- better facilities will help to attract visitors and boost local economies
- lack of public toilets causes many elderly and disabled people to stay at home because they cannot rely on access to a loo when out and about
- lack of public toilets leads to street urination and fouling which spreads disease
- delays in answering "nature's call” can increase infections and other health problems
- women need better provision; currently women often have to queue far longer than men
- the needs of babies and children are not always considered
- "community” toilets are not always suitable; some people find going into pubs etc unacceptable.
To sign the petition go to http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/15258